Procedure For Making Cannabis Oil At HomeErica Smith
Basics Of Making Cannabis Oil At Home- All You Need To Know
Making cannabis oil at home has numerous benefits. Firstly, you can use it for various purposes and make more of it as and when required. Secondly, you do not need to run to a store whenever you need cannabis oil. Finally, it is cost-effective to use this oil at home for various remedial purposes.
Multiple Uses Of Cannabis Oil
Cannabis oil has various medical and other utilities which make it even more useful and desirable. Here are some uses of this oil on a regular basis:
- It acts as pain relief.
- It helps control depression, stress, and anxiety.
- It boosts flexibility and cardiovascular fitness.
Hemp Seed Oil Or Marijuana Oil: Which Oil Works Best?
While marijuana oil is extracted from the cannabis plant and used directly, the hemp seed oil is a mixture of marijuana and hemp seed extracts. Hemp oil or CBD oil is a good alternative to marijuana oil, especially in states where cannabis usage is illegal. Cannabis oil also has tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, which can make you feel a bit dizzy or “high.”
Deciding the dose of cannabis oil, especially for consumption purposes, becomes a challenge to many. Too much THC can cause unfavorable situations, drowsiness, and improper body balance for a lot of people. Thus, it is always a good idea to consult a physician when deciding on the dodge of cannabis oil. In addition, it can help you to know about your physical capability to consume the oil regularly.
Which Carrier Oil To Use With Cannabis Oil?
Many users claim that coconut oil is the best carrier oil that goes with cannabis oil, both for edible and topical purposes. This is because it contains the essential fatty acids that help to hold together the nutritional value of marijuana oil. Other preferable carrier oils include vegetable oil and lecithin.
Why Use Lecithin?
Lecithin acts as a good binding substance for cannabis oil and ensures that the latter does not lose its nutritional value. It is basically a type of fat that binds substances together. Lecithin also increases cannabinoids’ bioavailability, thus enhancing the shelf life of cannabis oil. You can use sunflower lecithin as the binding substance. Eggs are also a good source of lecithins, mainly used for baking purposes.
Why Must You Decarboxylate Cannabis?
Raw ingredients of a cannabis plant are not fit for human consumption. It is one of the primary reasons why cannabis is still banned in many countries. In order to make cannabis oil, you need to decarb raw cannabis. It refers to the process of removing a single carbon atom from a carbon chain. The process involves the release of carbon dioxide as an essential bye-product.
Cannabinoids like tetrahydrocannabinol acid (THCA) and cannabidiol acid (CBDA) undergo a decarboxylation process to form THC and CBD, respectively. It is mainly done to improve their psychoactive behavior in the human body for successful application. The raw cannabis flower is decarbed so that there is an increase in the health benefits, and your body can process the cannabis products more readily.
How To Make Cannabis Oil At Home?
Here is a detailed procedure for making cannabis oil easily at home. Have a look.
Things You Need For Preparation:
- Baking tray (preferably rimmed)
- Clean strainer or cheesecloth
- Baking paper
- Saucepan, double boiler equipment
- Cooking twister or twine
- Cannabis flower (about 3-4 grams)
- Cooking oil (carrier oil of your choice)
Steps to follow:
The procedure for making cannabis oil is quite simple. Here are the steps in detail:
- Take the cannabis flowers or buds and break them into smaller pieces.
- Take a baking tray and line it with baking paper. Place the flower pieces in layers in the tray. Put it in the center of an oven (preheated) set to 240℉ to 248℉ (115℃ to 120℃). Bake it for about 40 minutes, and make sure to stir it after every 10 minutes.
- Allow the cannabis to cool down at room temperature. The color should change to golden brown or yellow. Fresh cannabis looks green in color.
- Next, you need to grind the cannabis into a coarse texture and store it in an airtight box or container.
- In this step, you need to mix the cannabis and carrier oil together. There are three main ways to do it as follows:
- Mix them in a crock pot or a cooker slowly for about 6 hours. It would be best if you stirred them from time to time.
- Use the double boiler method to mix them. Place a glass bowl over a container with boiling water. The process should take about 7-8 hours.
- You can directly place the cannabis and oil in a saucepan and heat and mix them together. It takes less time, but you need to be very careful as the mixture becomes more prone to scorching. Stir it every now and then, and add some water to the oil if necessary.
Make sure that the oil temperature does not cross 240℉-245℉ (118℃), or you will lose the nutritional value of the plant.
6. You must strain your oil through a cheesecloth or clean strainer, so the plant extracts are segregated from the oil.
Other Possible Methods Of Making Cannabis Oil At Home
Another very effective method of making canna oil is to infuse raw cannabis directly into the carrier oil. In this case, the cannabis should be decarboxylated first in order to increase the shelf life of the oil. Place the cannabis oil mixture in an oven (about 220℉ or 104℃) and heat it for about 2 hours. It will ensure successful decarbing of the cannabis first.
Take a carrier oil of your choice (preferably olive oil or coconut oil) and add the raw cannabis to it. Double boil the mixture in simmer mode, and make sure that the temperature remains constant. You can decarb the oil in the last phase, but decarbing the cannabis at first will be more effective.
You can decarb the cannabis and heat the mixture in the last step. The temperature should ideally remain between 100℉ and 120℉ (about 37℃-48℃). Keep stirring for about 5 hours, and cool the mixture completely. You can also put a filter along with the mixture while heating to avoid separating the cannabis extracts last. Finally, you can use the leftovers of the plant to prepare edibles.
Essential Tips To Follow While Making Cannabis Oil At Home
As such, cannabis is a sensitive raw material that needs precaution while used. You can also follow some tips to make the best cannabis oil at home effortlessly. They are as follows:
- Make sure that you cook the mixture at low temperatures: Very high temperatures can result in the loss of nutritional value of the oil. It can also lead to scorching. Ideally, try to keep the mixture heating at temperatures around 248℉ to 284℉ (about 120℃-140℃). You can retain acidic cannabinoids in the process if any.
- Store the oil properly to increase its shelf life: Cannabis oil, unlike any other carrier oil, does not last long. It is prone to damage and decreased potency once it comes in contact with exposed air. Use an airtight container to store the oil, and apply it carefully.
Not only that, but the presence of impurities can also affect the shelf life of the canna oil. It can invite the growth of bacteria and other harmful germs. So, you need to make sure that the oil is properly strained and that no plant extracts are left behind.
Store the oil in a dark room at cool temperatures. Exposure to air and sunlight should be strictly prohibited. Cannabis oil should ideally stay potent for about 1-2 years. The storage temperatures should be around 70℉ (21℃).
- Retain flavonoids of cannabis: Raw cannabis contains flavonoids and terpenes, which give it a sweet smell and flavor. After decarbing cannabis, the oil mixture retains the terpenes that add to the smell even more. However, in the case of edibles, you might want to do away with the smell and flavor, as they are not as pleasant as when infused with oil. Many people use natural sugar to get rid of the taste.
- You must strain away the plant extracts: In order to get rid of the unfavorable taste, you need to strain the plant material from the oil. Although it does not totally remove the taste, it definitely reduces it. You can use sweeteners in the case of edibles. For applying the oil, you can infuse it with other oil extracts for better application.
Connect with the doctors at Kif Doctors to know more about cannabis plants and their various benefits. It is always better to have a clear idea before making cannabis oil from scratch. Our professionals are there to help you with every little detail that you need to know about marijuana.
Is it legal to buy cannabis for making canna oil?
Many states have allowed access to medical cannabis for various treatments. You need to stay updated with the current marijuana laws in your state to know about the legalities. Contact experts at Kif Doctors to know more.
Cannabis oil or CBD oil- which one is better?
CBD oil has fewer THC amounts that do not cause too much psychoactive behavior. Cannabis oil, on the other hand, has a sufficient amount of THC. It mainly depends on whether cannabis use is legal in your state. If not, CBD oil is a good alternative.
Is the oven better or a gas stove while making canna oil?
Both oven and gas stove will render similar results while making cannabis oil. You only need to keep in mind to control and check the temperature as and when required. Although for baking the cannabis flower extracts, you need the oven for better results.
Leave a Reply